Monday, March 21, 2005

Poll – Majority Against Federal Intervention in Schiavo Case

A new poll shows that, by a wide margin, the public disapproves of the action taken last night by Congress to intervene in the Terry Schiavo case. Even among Republicans, the margin is 58 to 39 against. Wide margins also support the Florida court’s decision to remove the feeding tube of the brain damaged woman.

As a Republican, I feel that last night showed that my party has spit in the face of the promise of less government intrusion in people’s lives and a smaller, less powerful federal government. Additionally, Congress has set a dangerous precedent that the federal government now has a say in family law matters that have, for the past 200+ years, been the sole responsibility of the local and state court system. For a party that talks of individual rights, local control and the primacy of the family, this is truly shameful.

2 Comments:

At 3/21/2005 02:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta disagree here. Congress voted to to send the case for further review to another judge, which is exactly what death row inmates get before they're killed. It doesn't guarantee that the judge will accept the case or provide a different result.

RR

PS - I believe the results of that poll like I would believe Bill actually wants to sleep with Hillary.

 
At 3/21/2005 03:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This case is not that cut and dry. If I was in Terri's position, I would not want to live 15 years as she has done and I plan to have the paperwork if that scenario ever takes place.
However, what mortifys me is that people are adamant of letting her starve to death. I would rather take a bullet to the head than go that way. People bitch and moan about capital punishment. Lethal injection is cruel and unusual punishment, but starvation is ok in this case? People would scream if you starved a dog.
Another point of interest is why is this guy so adamant about killing her? Her parents want him to divorce her and they will be responsible for Terri, but no, he wants to have her starve instead. I am no right wing religious nut by any means, but will this open the door to dispose of severely retarded people, Alzheimers patients or anyone who can't fend for themselves? Maybe not, but there is always a whackjob who will test the waters. If I was in a coma with an excellent chance of recovering, my wife would have that plug pulled before you could say Kevorkian 3 times. Ok, I was just joking on that one,,,,kind of.
Her husband raises some questions. He was quoted as asking "when is the bitch going to die?"
There is talk about him abusing her in the past. Yes, this was just talk and I am not sure if any real proof exists. I guess if we were going to error here, we should error on the side of compassion and morality.

Another point of interest is Terri had no living will like the vast majority of people do not at 28 years of age. If she did and she did not want any life support, there would be no case here to discuss. However, her husband said she did not want to live that way. The courts are going on this one mans statement, that from my understanding, he made 3 years after she was in this state. repeat, 3 years after.

Like I said earlier, this is not a cut and dry case, but this guys character and motives are questionable.
Just my 2 cents.

TS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home